Rooting of smartphones has become important these days. We all want to try out new ROMs in our smartphones and for that, we need a rooted device. The very first basic requirement for rooting is unlocking the bootloader. You can unlock the bootloader of any Android device in few simple steps. In this guide, we will help you in unlocking the bootloader of Lenovo devices.
Lenovo came back into the smartphone market with the launch of its K series smartphones. Lenovo K3 Note and K4 Note are still in demand and doing a decent business as well. No matter which device you are using, rooting will always attract the user thanks to the multiple options that becomes available after rooting. This tutorial will enable you to unlock the bootloader of any Lenovo device so that you don’t feel restricted while using your phone.
- Take the backup of your device as unlocking will wipe all the data present on your phone.
- Make sure your device is at least 50% charged.
- You have a USB cable to connect your device to PC.
- Unlocking of Bootloader may void the warranty of the device.
Step 1: Installation of ADB & Fastboot on your PC
Android Debug Bridge or more popularly known as ADB and Fastboot plays a vital role in bootloader unlocking. Without the presence of ADB & Fastboot, you won’t be able to connect your Lenovo device to PC. ADB helps in sending the basic commands of Linux from PC to phone while Fastboot helps in flashing any type of partition on the phone.
- Click here to download ADB & Fastboot Installer.
- Once downloaded, run the setup and you will be greeted with a command prompt with a blue background.
- Now, you just need to agree to all the prompts. For doing so just type Y and press Enter.
- Once this is installed, the set up will close on its own.
- Good thing about this ADB installer is, it automatically installs drivers for your Lenovo device too.
Step 2: Before Unlocking
Before unlocking the Bootloader, you must make your phone ready for it.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number. Click on Build Number until you see the message “You’re now a developer!” Alternatively you can check our guide to enable developer mode on your Lenovo device.
- Now, go back to Settings > Developer Options. Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB debugging to enable these options.
- Enabling the OEM will ask for the Password/PIN. Enter the desired password to enable the OEM Unlocking.USB Debugging will also prompt a warning message, click OK to enable it.
- Switch Off your phone and restart in Fastboot mode by pressing Power and Volume Up button at the same time.
Step 3: Unlocking the Bootloader
- Connect your phone to PC via USB and open Command Prompt pressing Shift + Right Click and clicking on “Open Command Window Here”.
adb reboot bootloader
- command in Command Prompt Window and Press Enter. On doing this Phone will enter to Fastboot mode.
- Now, enter the below command
fastboot OEM unlock
in the command prompt and press enter. Your bootloader is unlocked now.
- Just restart your phone normally and you are all set to enjoy the freedom of unlocked bootloader.
You may get many warning prompts while unlocking the bootloader, you just need to accept these warning signs as a manufacturer of the device doesn’t want you to play with the company defined settings. You will now be able to install TWRP recovery and root your Lenovo devices. Let us know if you are still facing any issue in unlocking the bootloader of your Lenovo device.