Huawei is the largest telecommunications equipment manufacturer in the world and has also marked its name in the field of smartphones. Thanks to its Honor series smartphones, Huawei is now a known name in the smartphone market. Just like most of the manufacturer, Huawei also ships its phone with a locked bootloader. This article has been created with the main aim to help you unlock the bootloader of any Huawei device.
Unlocking the bootloader is an essential step before installing a custom recovery or rooting your device. Without unlocking the bootloader one wouldn’t be able to make internal changes such as installing recovery, flashing ROMs etc. This guide is not a device specific guide, one can unlock the bootloader of any Huawei device after following this guide.
Pre-requirements for Unlocking the Bootloader
- Backup the entire data of the device as Bootloader Unlocking might wipe all the data from your Huawei device.
- Your device should be at least 50% charged.
- USB Cable, PC with Internet Connection and your Huawei device.
- Download the Huawei USB drivers.
Disclaimer: Unlocking the Bootloader involves the risks of losing data as well as breaking the warranty. We advise you to perform unlocking under the supervision and calculated risk.
Step 1: Getting Unlock Code from Huawei
- Visit the Huawei Website. Now enter your Huawei account details or create one to Log In.
- Once Logged in, you need to fill a form which will ask the below-mentioned details
- Model Number of Phone: PLK-LK01
- Serial Number: Go to Settings > About > Status
- IMEI1 Number: Go to Settings > About > Status
- Product ID of your Phone: Dial *#*#1357946#*#* from your Huawei phone to get Product Code
- Click on Submit Button and you will get a 16 digit code.
Step 2: Installation of ADB & Fastboot on your PC
Now you need to Install ADB or Android Debug Bridge and Fastboot on your PC as they will help you in bootloader unlocking. You will need ADB & Fastboot as, without them, you might face difficulty in connecting your Huawei device to PC.
- Click here to download ADB & Fastboot Installer.
- Once the ADB & Fastboot is downloaded, double-click on the downloaded file to run the setup.
- Now, you will see a command prompt with a blue background. From here on, you need to agree to all the conditions.
- Just Press Y for Yes and click on Enter. The setup will close on its own when it is fully installed.
Step 3: Enabling OEM and USB Debugging
For unlocking the bootloader, you will need developers access. For doing so:
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number. Click on Build Number for 7-8 times and you see the message “You’re now a developer!”. Now you have developers access.
- Now, go back to Settings > Developer Options. You will see OEM Unlocking and USB debugging options. Tap on these options to enable them both.
- While Enabling the OEM Unlocking, it will ask for the device password/pattern/PIN. Enter the same to enable the OEM Unlocking
- Click on OK for the message which will prompt which will come while enabling the USB debugging.
Step 4: Huawei Bootloader Unlocking, The Final Steps
This is the final step where you will use the 16-digit Code you got from Huawei website.
- Connect your Huawei Phone to PC and boot the phone into Bootloader mode. For Doing so, switch off the device and restart it by pressing Volume Up + Power Button.
- Open Command Window on your PC. Go to desktop and Press Shift + Right Click and choose “Open Command Window here”.
- Type the below command to enter fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Type the below command to initiating the unlocking process.
fastboot oem unlock [16 digit code]
- All the data on your phone will be wiped and you have now successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Huawei Phone.
This is the official method of unlocking bootloader of your Huawei device. Let us know if you are facing any issue with this method of Unlocking the Bootloader.
Unlocked the Bootloader? What next: Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei phones.