Google Pixel is currently one of the best smartphones in the market. It is the beast in terms of both performance and appearance. The camera of Google Pixel is termed as the best camera present in the market and there is no doubt in the fact that it is the most developer friendly smartphone.
While it is a bit complex to unlock the bootloader in other manufacturer smartphone’s, it is simplest in Google Pixel devices. When it comes to the unlocking of bootloader, most of the Android device makes the process difficult but Pixel being a developer friendly phone makes it easy to unlock the bootloader. Unlocking the Pixel devices open a whole new world of possibilities on your phone and you can do many amazing things on it. Once you have unlocked the bootloader, you can easily Install or flash factory image, can install Custom ROMs, Custom MODs and can even prevent your phone from a soft brick.
You can’t unlock Bootloader of Verizon version of Pixel by this method as Bootloader can only be unlocked for factory unlocked Pixel smartphones. If you plan to unlock the Bootloader of Verizon versions, you will have to use a tool called dePixel8. We suggest you to take the backup of your data before unlocking the bootloader and also make sure your device is at least 50% charged.
Step 1: Install ADB & Fastboot on Your Computer
You need to download & install ADB & Fastboot on your PC so that you can easily send the unlock bootloader command to your Pixel Device.
- Click here to Download ADB & Fastboot.
- Once ADB & Fastboot is downloaded, run the downloaded file by double-clicking on it.
- Once it is installed, you will see a command prompt with a blue background. You just need to say Yes to all the prompts on the screen.
- For saying Yes, just Type Y and press Enter.
With the help of above downloaded ADB & Fastboot, you don’t need to download any extra USB drivers for your Pixel Device.
Step 2: Enable Developers Access & OEM Unlocking
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number and tap it 7-8 times till you see a flash message “You’re now a developer!”
- Now, go back to Settings > Developer Options > OEM Unlocking. Tap on OEM Unlocking and it will be enabled. (You will have to provide the code/pattern/pin to enable it)
- Now, below OEM there is an option of USB Debugging. Tap and press Ok to enable it.
Step 3: Enabling Bootloader Mode in Pixel
- Switch off your Pixel.
- Once the Pixel is switched off, press & hold the Volume Down and Power Button at the same time and you will be greeted by Android’s Bootloader menu.
- Once you see the Android Logo in or when your phone enters the Bootloader Menu, connect the phone with PC using the USB Cable. (Prefer the original USB cable)
Step 4: Unlocking the Bootloader
- Go to ADB and Fastboot installation directory on your PC. (Most common Path for directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
- Now, press shift and right click on mouse in any empty space & choose “Open command window here”.
- It will open the command Prompt. Type “fastboot devices” and if it pings back with a combination of letters & numbers followed by fastboot, it means your device is correctly connected and ready to be unlocked. If not, check the ADB & Fastboot Installation or check whether your device is in bootloader mode or not.
- Now type “fastboot flashing unlock” in command prompt and press enter. Now, you will see a message on your Pixel confirming the unlocking of Bootloader. Click on yes and your bootloader will be unlocked.
- Restart your device and now, you have a Pixel device with an unlocked bootloader.