Are you planning to install the TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi device? This is the right guide you’ve come to. This guide includes the essential steps which will help you unlock the bootloader and install the TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi device. This article isn’t a device specific guide, However, it works for all the Xiaomi smartphones in the market.
Xiaomi, the Apple of China has gained a lot of popularity in last few years. There was a time when Xiaomi was not known to most of the people and today it is one of the most selling brands all over the world. In India, almost all Xiaomi devices go out of stock in just a few seconds. Users eagerly wait for new Xiaomi device and it always remains on the top on the best selling list of smartphones.
How to Install the TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Phones?
Coming to the unlocking of the bootloader, Xiaomi is not an exception. Just like other mobile manufacturers, Xiaomi also suggests to stick to the company settings and ROM and don’t favor changing of ROM. Although, if you wish to use custom ROM in your Xiaomi device, you can easily do it by unlocking the bootloader and installing TWRP recovery. Here is a small guide on how to install TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Devices. You’ll need a custom recovery even to root your android phone. As you are already here, we assume that you already have an idea of what a custom recovery is. So let’s begin with the steps.
Things to check before installing TWRP Recovery
- Make sure you have unlocked the bootloader of your Xiaomi device. If not, follow the unlock bootloader guide for Xiaomi phones.
- Installing TWRP Recovery might wipe off the entire data from your phone so it is suggested to take the backup of all your data present on your device.
- Charge your phone to at-least 50% so that it doesn’t shut down during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Xiaomi device by going to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- USB Cable, PC, Internet Connection & Xiaomi Device.
Installing TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Phones, the Steps!
1. Install ADB & Fastboot Drivers
Downloading ADB & Fastboot Drivers is the very first and most important step during the process of installation of TWRP Recovery. One of XDA member Snoop5 has created a small and simple tool to download & install ADB & Fastboot in mere 15 seconds.
- Click here to download 15 seconds ADB Installer.
- Run the file and install it
- Once it is installed, you will be greeted with a command prompt with Blue Background. You need to say Yes to all prompts to complete the installation. You need to Type Y to agree to prompts.
- This tool will download ADB & Fastboot drivers along with Xiaomi’s USB Device drivers.
- If you wish to download USB drivers for your Xiaomi Device, you can download the MI PC Suite as well.
2. Install TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Device
You are all set to install TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Device. Once ADB & Fastboot drivers are successfully installed, you just need to download TWRP Recovery File on your PC and enter few commands in command prompts.
- Download TWRP Recovery File for your Xiaomi device on your PC (IMG file).
- Once downloaded, open the folder and rename it to “twrp-xxx.img”, it is not necessary steps but this is the standard we follow in most of our guides.
- Now, press Shift and Right Click on your mouse at any empty location in the folder. Select the option ‘Open Command Windows Here’ & it will open the command prompt.
- Now, before typing any command in command prompt, connect your Xiaomi device to PC via USB Cable. Prefer the original USB Cable if possible. Once connected, type
adb reboot bootloader
in command prompt to boot your Xiaomi device in bootloader mode. It will show a prompt asking for permission with a message ‘Allow USB debugging’, click OK to continue.
- Now, come back to Command prompt & type
fastboot flash recovery twrp-xxx.img
- Once the command is given, it will start the installation of TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi device. Restart your phone normally and you will have a Xiaomi device with unlocked bootloader and installed TWRP recovery, all set for root.