The beauty of Android modding is its limitless possibilities. A user can’t completely mod his device without having a custom recovery, that’s where the TWRP recovery comes in the picture. The TWRP recovery project is highly appreciated and accepted by the Android community because of it’s open source nature. Hence, the project always gets new devices under support and varieties of features. As of now, the unofficial TWRP recovery is available for Redmi 5A. Thanks to XDA member XN Logos for all of his good work done for this device.
The steps for flashing it is quite simple but at the same time, it’s easy to brick your device if the instructions are not properly followed. Below steps might wipe your device’s internal memory. So it is advised to proceed with the steps only after a full backup of the device. Let’s take a look at the step by step procedures to install TWRP on your Redmi 5A.
- Redmi 5A with charge above 80%.
- ADB and Fastboot Installed on your PC.
- Download Toolkit for Redmi 5A (Make sure you download the RAR file.)
- Unlocked Bootloader (Follow steps to unlock the bootloader of Redmi 5A.)
- USB Type-C cable (Official cable recommended.)
Flashing the TWRP Recovery using the Redmi 5A Toolkit
If you reached this far, we assume that your device bootloader is already unlocked and ADB and fastboot drivers are already installed on your PC. Follow the below instructions to flash TWRP recovery on your Redmi 5A.
- Create a folder on the Desktop. You can avoid creating the folder, but it might lead to mess, so creating a folder is always a good idea.
- Extract the contents of redmi+5a+toolkit+[riva].rar to the folder which you created.
- Enable Developer mode on your device, to do that
- Go to Settings > About Phone > MIUI Version
- Keep tapping MIUI Version until you get the message “You’re now a developer!”
- Enable USB Debugging Option and OEM unlocking.
- Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer option.
- Enable the OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging options.
- Run the Xiaomi Redmi 5A toolkit.exe and follow the on-screen instructions.
- To flash TWRP, type 41 and hit enter.
- To verify TWRP is installed, first power off your device.
- Press Power button + Volume UP button to boot into recovery mode. If the flashing is successful, you can see TWRP recovery booting up instead of stock MIUI recovery.
See the TWRP recovery? That’s it, you’ve successfully flashed the TWRP recovery on your device. If your device isn’t getting into TWRP recovery then or if you are facing bootloop problems, feel free to comment down here, We’ll get one of our experts to solve your problem.
Not comfortable with the toolkit method? Right now, this is the method we’ve tested and it works flawlessly. We’re currently planning to test it directly using the ADB and Fastboot binaries. We’ll update this article with the new ADB and Fastboot method after the successful completion of the steps.
Installed TWRP recovery? What next
Most of them install a custom recovery so that they can root their devices, flash custom ROMs, custom kernels and mod their device. If you plan to root your device then, check our guide to root Xiaomi Redmi 5A.
New to rooting? Check our beginner’s guide to Android rooting.
Own a different Xiaomi Device? You might want to read our universal guide.
[eckosc_accordion title=”DISCLAIMER” state=”open”]Neither AndroidTutorialsHow nor the author will be held responsible for any damage that might occur while or after following the guide. By following the steps you make yourself responsible for any issues. However, feel free to comment down if you mess up. We’ll have our Android Expert to solve your problem.[/eckosc_accordion]