TWRP is an open source custom recovery which allows you to do a lot of advanced features which the stock recovery couldn’t. It features a touch-enabled user interface which allows users to install all kind of third-party firmware & can also be used to back up the current system. It can be used to flash new OTA updated to Android Smartphones, to format or repair broken partitions & to create/restore a backup of data, to flash custom kernels and root your device too.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Motorola Phones?
Every smartphone is locked to a certain extent so that the user cannot install any other software images apart from the original one. No manufacturer wants you to do experiment with the phone which is the reason TWRP recovery or any other custom recovery is used. TWRP helps in rooting of the device which further helps in getting the complete administration access of the device. Once you have gained the root access of your device, you can uninstall the bloatware, can install any third party apps & can also install custom ROMs & Kernel. Without wasting more time reading about, let’s begin with the actual process.
- Make sure you have unlocked the bootloader of your Motorola device.
- You must take a complete backup of your device.
- Ensure that your Motorola device is 50% charged.
- Enable Developer options: Go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number and tap it for 7 times.
- You must enable USB debugging before installing TWRP. Go to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging & tap to enable it.
- PC with Internet Connection, USB Cable (preferably original) & your Motorola Device.
Step 1: Installing ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC
[eckosc_accordion title=”IMPORTANT” state=”closed”]If you’ve already unlocked the bootloader of the device, you should be having the ADB and fastboot already installed on your system. You can simply proceed with the flashing recovery part (Step 2.)[/eckosc_accordion]
ADB & Fastboot drivers act as a gateway to install TWRP. It is the very first & important step to install these drivers to begin installing TWRP. There are multiple ways available on the internet to download & install ADB & Fastboot drivers. The simplest way to download is:
- Click here to download 15 seconds ADB Installer.
- Click on the downloaded file and install it.
- Once installed, open the program and you will see a Blue Background command prompt. Agree to all prompts by typing Y.
- You don’t need to download any other driver apart from this as the ADB and Fastboot installer also downloads USB drivers for your Motorola device.
Step 2: Flashing the TWRP Recovery on your Motorola Device
After you have installed ADB & Fastboot drivers, you just need to follow these simple steps to finish the process. This is for Windows users only.
- Download TWRP Recovery File for your device on your PC.
- Now, Open the folder where this file is downloaded. If you are having difficulty in finding, try to look out for a file with extension .img.
- Now, go to any empty space in that folder & press Shift + Right select the option, ‘Open Command Windows Here.’
- Now, connect your Motorola device to PC with the help of USB Cable. Type the below command in command prompt and it’ll boot your device into bootloader mode. In case it asks for permission, just allow it by pressing OK or Allow.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your phone is in Bootloader mode type the command below to flash TWRP recovery. Make sure you’ve renamed the recovery file to twrp.img
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Now, Type the below command to reboot your device
- You have now successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Motorola device.
[eckosc_accordion title=”DISCLAIMER” state=”open”]We’ve tried our level best to keep the guide simple, However, there is a room for mistakes while following the steps. Neither AndroidTutorialsHow or the author will be held responsible for any damage that might occur. By following the steps you agree that you are responsible for the damage (if at all it occurs.) However, in case you get stuck somewhere, you can reach us on the comment section and one of our Android Experts will get in touch.[/eckosc_accordion]
Installed TWRP recovery? What Next
After installing a custom recovery like TWRP recovery. You can root your device, flash scripts to tweak the performance, flash ROMs, and custom kernels. You can installed some frameworks such as Xposed Framework to tweak and customize your device to the fullest. You can read the advantages of rooting. Some of them are mentioned
- It boosts the device speed & battery life
- It can help in removing system apps & unwanted pre-installed apps.
- You can increase the video streaming speed & SIM detection speed.
- Can install desired ROM & Kernel.