The LG V30 is a powerful device and one couldn’t have unlocked the bootloader of it, but LG accidentally allowed people to unlock it. Having an unlocked bootloader means that the device can be flashed with a new recovery like TWRP which will help the users with rooting their LG V30.
The TWRP recovery is still in its alpha stages but it is functional and works just as it should. Here’s a post that will tell you a step by step process of how you can install TWRP on your LG V30. The procedure is a bit confusing so don’t forget to follow every single step that we have mentioned here. Skipping anything will result in procedure failure.
Downloads & Requirements
Make sure that your LG V30’s bootloader is unlocked. This process won’t work unless the LG V30 bootloader is unlocked and ready to go. Follow our step-by-step guide to unlock the bootloader of the LG V30.
Also, make sure to backup everything on the phone as there is a good chance that your phone will be wiped clean during following this procedure. Let’s get started with the main procedure and see how we can get TWRP on LG V30.
Procedure for Flashing TWRP Recovery on the LG V30
- After you have downloaded the TWRP image for LG V30 and the ADB Drivers, just move the TWRP image into the ADB folder.
- Assuming that you have already unlocked the bootloader of your LG V30, we will directly go ahead with the process of installing TWRP on your phone.
- Again, backup everything on your phone since it is going to be wiped after this procedure.
- Enable Developer Options, to do so: Go to Settings and go to About Phone. Tap the Build number 7-8 times and you will be able to access the Developer Settings now.
- Go to Developer Settings and turn on USB Debugging. Connect the phone to your PC using the stock USB cable.
- Now, open the folder where you have saved everything related to ADB and the TWRP image.
- Keep the SHIFT key on your PC keyboard pressed and meanwhile, right click on your mouse. You should see a context menu with an option that says Open Command/PowerShell window here.
- Click on that option and you will see that a command window opens up.
- In this command window, type: adb devices.
- Now, check your phone and click on “Allow.” As soon as you click Allow, you will see that the command window will show your phone with its device ID.
- After this, you need to enter the command: adb reboot bootloader
- The above mentioned command will reboot your LG V30 into the fastboot mode.
- In the command window, type in: fastboot flash recovery TWRP-3.2.1-joan-v0.2-treble.img
- This command will flash the TWRP recovery on your LG V30. But the procedure isn’t complete yet.
- READ THE FOLLOWING STEPS PROPERLY & FOLLOW THEM ACCORDINGLY.
- Disconnect your LG V30 from the PC.
- Hold the volume down button and the power button at the same time until you see the startup logo of the phone.
- As soon as you see the startup logo, release the power button while still keeping the volume down button pressed for a brief moment and then press the power button again. All this while keeping the volume down button pressed.
- The next screen on your phone that you will see will be white and you have to choose YES twice so that the phone’s current data is erased.
- After the erase process is complete, you will see the TWRP screen.
TWRP has now successfully been installed on your LG V30. But you still need to follow the below-given steps to complete the process.
- When you enter TWRP, make sure to make your system writable.
- You will need to turn the data encryption on your phone off. To do that, just enter TWRP and choose Wipe Data.
- Now go ahead and choose Factory Reset and then choose Format Partition.
This is all that you need to do in order to install TWRP on your LG V30. Make sure you have followed everything step by step else the procedure won’t be successful.