TeamWin Recovery Project or as you may know TWRP is one of the best custom recoveries available in the market. The best part about TWRP is that it is a fully touch-based custom recovery with an amazing user interface. It was initially developed for Nexus smartphones but now it is available for almost all smartphones & is used widely for flashing scripts and rooting the device.
The TWRP Recovery is compatible with most of the Android Smartphones and Lenovo is not an exception. Before installing the recovery, it is important for you to have an unlocked bootloader. If you don’t have one, you can follow our unlock bootloader of Lenovo phones guide. Once you have unlocked the bootloader & have installed the TWRP, you can easily root any phone. Rooting allows you to install custom ROMs and custom Kernel. Thanks to rooting, you can easily customize your phone as per your need.
Installing TWRP can be a risky process as it involves playing with the device’s internal file. Installing TWRP might result in voiding the device warranty so we suggest you to proceed at your own risk.
- Your phone should have unlocked the bootloader. It is the most important requirement for installing TWRP. If your Lenovo device is not unlocked, unlock the bootloader first (Locate for Lenovo.)
- Take the complete backup of your Lenovo device.
- Installing the TWRP will not take much time but it is suggested to charge your Lenovo device to at least 80%.
- You must enable USB debugging. For doing so follow the below steps
- Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging & tap to enable it. (You will need Developer access for this, go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number & tap 7 times on Build Number)
- USB Cable, PC with Internet Connection & your Lenovo Device.
Step 1: Installing ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC
ADB & Fastboot drivers can be installed in multiple ways and there are many places from where you can get the source file. However, there is also a simple way which will only take 15 seconds. This is made possible due to by XDA member Snoop5
- Click here to download 15 seconds ADB Installer. (In case you’ve not downloaded while unlocking the bootloader.)
- Run and Install the downloaded file.
- Once the installation is complete, you will see a Blue Background command prompt. Agree to all prompts by typing Y.
- This 15 seconds’ installer will also download USB drivers which are needed to connect your Lenovo device to PC.
Step 2: Installing TWRP on your Lenovo Device
This is the second & final step. Once you have finished the installation of ADB & Fastboot drivers, you just need to download TWRP on your PC and enter few commands in command prompts.
- Download TWRP Recovery File for your device on your PC.
- Now, navigate to open the folder where this file is downloaded. Look out for a file with extension .img and rename the file to “twrp.img”, it isn’t necessary, but by using the same name you can straight away copy the commands from below.
- Now, press Shift + Right-click on any empty space inside that folder & select the option, ‘Open Command Windows Here’. This will open Command Prompt.
- Now, connect the Lenovo device to PC via USB Cable. In the command prompt, type the
command and it will show your device in the command prompt if everything has been followed properly. If it shows, reboot the device to fastboot mode by typing the below command.
adb reboot bootloader
it will boot your Lenovo device in the bootloader mode. If it asks for any permission, just Tap OK & Continue.
- You’ll see your phone booting in the fastboot mode. Now type the below command to flash the TWRP recovery.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
in command prompt and press enter. You’ll see the TWRP recovery being sent to your device and once it is sent, you’ll be able to write a command on the command prompt.
in command prompt and the phone will start. To access the TWRP recovery, use the shortcut keys which are to be used for your device.
- Once installed, you might want to boot your Lenovo device into TWRP recovery.
You have now successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Lenovo Device. Once you’ve installed the TWRP recovery, you can now flash mods, scripts and root your Lenovo phone. Do let us know if something didn’t work for you.
[eckosc_status_message title=”NOTE” icon=”fa-warning” type=”warn” message=”Note: Neither the author, nor the website will be held responsible for any damages or problems caused while or after following the guide. However, in case of any issues, feel free to comment and we’ll try to resolve the query.”]